Sunday, November 9, 2008

The Aftermath of Prop 8



This is a post that needed to be written, but I wasn't ready to write the days after prop 8 passed. I spent those first few days crying at random intervals, and I wasn't ready to say thank you to all the people who are out there supporting our cause. Brides like Meg and Carly who are out there taking a stand for what is right.

A little more obvious, but still definitely worth mentioning are the efforts of the lgbt bloggers on my blogroll. Especially supportive have been Christina and N. I feel like we've all really leaned on each other through this really tough time.

So, what next?

I don't know. I never thought I would say this, but there have been some very good things that have come from this proposition passing. People are mad, really mad, and we demand action and satisfaction. I mean right out of the 60's, outrage against the establishment, I don't care if you turn the hoses on me, by any means necessary mad. I feel like we are watching history being made.

I went to a big protest in West Hollywood on Wednesday. I went to a big protest in Long Beach on Friday. I went to a huge protest in Los Angeles and Hollywood on Saturday. Today I will go to what promises to be a big protest at the cathedral in Downtown Los Angeles.

There was a time in my life when I was much more political, but I burned out on politics. I was always trying to join a protest or a school walkout, but I burned out on them. This is different.

I don't think I've ever seen this many people at so many protests in such a short span of time. This is not going to fizzle out. We are not going to stay at home and cry anymore. We are going to take back what we had, even if we only had it for a short time.

That is the big difference between California and all the other states where constitutional amendments have been passed. Those other amendments were just hurtful. They said to people "you don't have the right to get married, but just in case you get any crazy ideas." People were disappointed, but they had not lost anything, it was just reiterated to them they are second-class citizens.

Here in California, we had the right to get married, and we should have fought harder to keep it. We got too complacent. We underestimated the lengths and lies the Mormon church and so many other conservatives would go to to take this away from us, and they succeeded. They used fear as their tool, and we were too slow to counter with reason.

But they have made us mad. And we have taken to the street. And we will have our rights.

2 comments:

Two Chicks Nest said...

I agree with you! Something good has come out of the passing of Prop 8. People have become activated. I think everyone expected CA to do the right thing and figured they could just sit back and let it happen. Now people realize that they have to do something! And they are! And it's awesome! In case you haven't seen this list yet, check it out: http://queersunited.blogspot.com/2008/11/listing-of-prop-8-protests-and-rallies.html Actions are happening across the country!

christina said...

hi! thanks for the "shout out!" right back at you!

secondly, i just sent an email out about the prop 8 silver lining. i'll post it soon...but basically i am GRATEFUL for prop 8. because of their efforts, they have made this a NATIONAL and GLOBAL issue! thanks to them, the world is watching! and now it's up to us! so that's the silver lining i see for prop 8. had prop 8 not passed, we would have just gotten married and lived our quiet lives. but now, we are energized and mobilized and it's really not just about California now!