Friday, September 18, 2009

Wedding Recaps Part IV: The Reception Begins

I wanted to be surprised when I walked into the reception room. We had given our florist a rather vague idea of what we wanted and told him to use his imagination. What he delivered totally floored me.

I'm a strong believer that when it comes to creative types the best thing you can do is give them the least amount of direction possible and put your faith in them (I know that's the best way to get great work out of me.)

The room before anyone was inside.

Hanging a bunch of lanterns on the chandelier was his idea. I knew I just wanted lanterns like Alice would have sat under during the mad tea party.


Shapes and colors, wow.


Half of the table had these short centerpieces. Each one was unique.


The other half had the tall centerpieces.


Our tables were named after characters and places from Alice in Wonderland.


Each of the tall centerpieces was monochromatic and unique.


So we ended up with splashes of color all over the room.


I didn't really care about favors either way, but it was the only choice I had made that my mom lobbied for. I figured it was such a small request that I made some since I wasn't particularly opposed to them. I still have some of these lying around my desk, I use them to keep paper clips and stuff.


I didn't want to eat this cake. It was too pretty to look at. I asked Michael if we could take it home and keep it on the coffee table. He said no, grrr.


A shot of us as we entered the reception room holding hands.


First Dance.


This is the moment. The moment when the weight of the day hit me and I broke down sobbing. So many emotions to feel at one moment.


I don't think this was during our first dance, but I still like it.


Dancing with my mother.


Mike and his mother.


My niece loves to dance.


Wonderful speech by the best man,


And also from my sister.


It was definitely an emotional day.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

your arrangements are *just* amazing. I love the ideas of monochromatic pieces in multiple colors, the best of both worlds! and thanks to this whole wedding planning schtick, i know that those tall purple flowers are in the onion family!

Carly said...

Wow, Luis...the reception decor is quite literally the loveliest that I have ever seen...and you know I've seen a lot of reception rooms! I really love the variety and the paper lanterns were perfect.

I can't for you to finish your recaps because I am going to spotlight the crap out of your wedding!

Luis said...

Thanks guys! Our florist really is amazing. I wish I could hire him just to put flowers around my life all the time.

Geezees Custom Canvas Art said...

wow, unbelievable and whimsical...THE most unique I have ever seen!

Unknown said...

Wow, everything about your wedding is gorgeous and fun! Congratulations to you both. My partner and I are having a commitment ceremony and reception in San Francisco this Saturday, and I can't believe it's almost here!

Luis said...

Congratulation Jeff. I hope you guys have a wonderful time this weekend and a wonderful life together. Enjoy the day, it tends to just kind of slip through your fingers because you don't want it to end.

Beth said...

wow, the wedding cake is amazing!