Thursday, July 31, 2008

A Good Gay Wedding Read


Ever since Mike and I got engaged I have been wedding obsessed. I have researched nearly everything wedding related you can possibly think of. In my obsessive searching I came across this book in a little shop in West Hollywood and proceeded to go home and order it on Amazon. "The Complete Guide to Gay and Lesbian Weddings," makes for some great entertaining light reading but is lacking in specifics.

When I bought this book we had already been engaged for a little over a month so I already had a really good grasp on how the whole event was going to come together. This book is a great place to start if you have no idea where to even start planning a wedding, or maybe if you're thinking of proposing to that special someone soon.

I know our wedding is going to be a non-traditional event, and it is a recurring thing in this book. As a gay couple we can stick to traditions we like, throw the ones we don't like out the door, and maybe even make some new traditions of our own.

This de-formalizing of weddings isn't limited to gay and lesbian couples either. I see it more and more in the weddings of friends, so there is a generational shift happening as well. More often people want to have weddings that reflect their personal style, and not the weddings their parents want them to have.

No comments: